Blog Prompt #7

Life through my bloodshot eyes
would scare a square 2 death
poverty,murder,violence
and never a moment 2 rest
Fun and games are few
but treasured like gold 2 me
cuz I realize that I must return
2 my spot in poverty
But mock my words when I say
my heart will not exist
unless my destiny comes through
and puts an end 2 all of this
By Tupac

The theme of this poem is the tragedies and hardships he has gone through in his life. I know this because of lines like "Life through my bloodshot eyes would scare a square 2 death", meaning if someone that grew up in a nicer part of town wouldn't believe what he's gone through, maybe talking about the privileged? This should be added to the alternate canon because it shows a different point of view, someone who had to go through hardships to get to where they are.

I still agree with what I thought the canon could be, more of a third world perspective, someone on the outside looking in. I think this because of when he talks about ending something at the end of the poem, he says "But mock my words when I say my heart will not exist unless my destiny comes through and puts an end 2 all of this." I think he is referring to poverty and maybe how African Americans can be perceived, especially in America. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peer Draft

Essay 4 reflection

Essay 3 Reflection